This week in our Compass Group we are studying 1 Timothy 6:6-19 NKJV. Verses 6-8 state "Now godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world and it is certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and clothing, with these we shall be content." Then skipping down to 17: "Command those who are rich in this present age not to be haughty, nor to trust in uncertain riches but in the living God, who gives us richly all things to enjoy. Let them do good that they be rich in good works, ready to give, willing to share, storing up for themselves a good foundation for the time to come, that they may lay hold on eternal life."
I was given such a vivid picture of discontentment this weekend, that I just had to share. My husband and I both just celebrated our birthdays over the past 2 weeks and our 11th wedding anniversary on Saturday. As a gift, my sister and her husband so generously gave us a gift card to a very nice seafood restaurant (complete with overnight babysitting) for us to use on our anniversary. You know, the kind of restaurant that we would normally admire from afar, but never spend the money to go to on our own. Tom and I were talking and laughing and enjoying our time alone by candlelight dinner overlooking the marina. We couldn't help but overhear the man next to us whining and complaining about his life and how miserable he was with his pathetic salary...etc. It was obvious from his conversation that his salary couldn't possibly be all that "pathetic" and that he dined quite frequently at restaurants like this one.
That night I rediscovered how truly beautiful contentment really is...and how ugly discontentment can be! Contentment is something to be pursued, prayed for, eagerly sought after. Contentment allowed me to enjoy that beautiful, delicious dinner and still believe with all my heart that no fancy restaurant can compare to our dinners at home around our table, maybe eating just frozen pizza, but surrounded by giggles and silly stories and love, trusting the Lord to provide all our needs. I'm not saying that I prefer to never go out alone with my hubby. We had a wonderful date night, reminiscing over the past 11 years (16 counting all of our years as sweethearts) and dreaming about the future. We need that time to come away from everything and focus on each other. What I am saying is that we don't need a lot of money or possessions to live RICHLY! I was even able to thank God for placing us at a table next to that whining man. After listening to his complaining for awhile, I looked at Tom and said "We are SO BLESSED!" -and he had to agree!
Proverbs 19:23 "The fear of the LORD leads to life, and he who has it will abide in satisfaction; He will not be visited with evil."
Monday, July 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
In all honesty....I deal with discontemtment from time to time. But I'm starting to notice it quicker & more clearly than I use to.
I think being content is a hard thing to have/find these days because we are bombarded with so many things we think we have to have to be happy. A bigger/prettier house, or nicer furniture. I have a love/ hate relationship with HGTV.... I love the home decorating ideas but I hate watching those home improvement shows because it just makes me discontent with what I have....feeling I always have to be working on or changing something about my home. It's just easier/less stressful to be happy with and take care of what God has blessed me with already.
Buildeth her house - Ohhhh...those home shows do it to me everytime! I love them too, but they always make me want to do things to our home that I can't afford.
Such a great reminder--I frustrate myself when I drift into discontentment. Thanks for encouraging my heart to stay the course!
Blessings!
Octamom - Thanks for your kind comment. BTW: The scrapblog you made for Bethany was beautiful! You are very talented!
loved your comment over at my 'place'!!! It makes me feel a little better that your husband is a 'Lostie' too--that way I can't bear all the blame!--hee hee!
oh--and thanks for your above comment on the scrapblog--it blessed me to have a way to 'thank' her!
Blessings!
Post a Comment